Thursday, March 4, 2010

The test results are in...

The test results are in... and as some of you may already have heard, Pat did not make it to the next rank.  He remains a Master Sergeant, which is still nothing to sneeze at. He has worked hard and diligently in his Air Force Profession, and we are so very proud of him. He has had many accomplishments and achievements along the way, and has exceeded his goals of where he wanted to be at this point in his life (career-wise). I am a very supportive wife, or atleast I try to be. Sometimes, things happen that we have no control over. Like deployments. This time is actually easy compared to the last time he was shipped off. That was a long time ago, and I know and realize how Blessed we really are, that he has not been deployed more often. I am so thankful.

 Back in 1999, he was told on a Friday, that he was leaving for an "undisclosed location" and was gone the very next day. I had no idea where he was, what he was doing, was he in harms way? The anxiety just about killed me. Here I was living on the base at home, wondering what was going on with him. The Air Force was doing what they call "Base exercises" which is a solid week, sometimes more, of exercises to prepare in the event of a disaster. All personnell must participate. Long days, long nights. In the years that Pat was home for these exercises, we would get the 3AM phone calls, off of the "recall roster" and sometimes he had to report in, sometimes he needed to call the next troop on the list. Anyways, it was during this big exercise that a major anxiety attack happened to me, I was taken to the Emergency Room by a friend who had to leave his position at the exercise. I felt so bad, so guilty. The Hospital hooked me up to EKG's, and all this stuff, and determined that it was anxiety (which I was telling them the entire time I was there) and prescribed anti anxiety medication, and sent me along my way.

Back to the current day, he is now knowing that he will be retiring soon from the Air Force. Pat has been Active Duty for so long (by the time he retires, it will be close to 25 yrs), he does not know anything but Air Force. He does not have experience with "The civilian sector" .   He is used to doing things the Air Force way, and that includes wearing his Uniform each day, etc...  So this will be a huge adjustment for Pat, once he returns to "the States" from Korea.  I am sad that he did not make it to Senior Master Sergeant. I think he deserves it, he worked hard for it, and I know that he did his best to achieve it. But at the same time, I am happy that we are not having to move again. I really did not want to, but if that is what we had to do, I was willing to go if we had to.  This is part of being in the Military, and I have been through this before, many a time with Patrick. However this time is unique, as it is at the end of his career. I have been with him for almost 16 years, and they usually take a test once a year, to go up in rank. So, needless to say, we have seen many tests come through. Some passed, some did not. We have congratulated friends and colleagues on their promotions as well.

The ceremony that is given when you put on a "new stripe" is usually done in fun... the troop stands there, and their families stand by their side with a paper version of the stripe badge to put on their arm. Then, (with cameras ready, of course) they tell you to put that new stripe on them, and you are supposed to punch them real hard in the arm right where the stripe goes! Of course, if it were a girl getting that stripe, I would hope it would be just a little tap or something. Now do you honestly think that I would let Sgt. Hunt get by with just a tap on the arm?? Heck NO! I would bash him in the arm for all that it's worth, and everyone would laugh and clap... that's how it's done!  LOL...

I totally congratulate all those that did make it to their next ranks with the USAF (and all other branches, as well). You worked hard, and you deserve it, congrats!! I commend each of you for your dedication, hard work, your accomplishments, and your willingness to put your country before yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment