Friday, February 26, 2010

San Antonio

Being in the Military, means that you will be moving. It doesn't matter whether or not you want to, you are going to eventually move, somewhere. And The Air Force, decided to let my Husband know, after accepting his assignment to Korea, that they cannot accomodate him career-wise in Massachusetts once his tour of duty was up in Korea. His rank, and his career field, there were no jobs available around the time he was due to return to Mass. So, he was told that he needed to pick another base. So, I, being the loving, thoughtful, considerate wife that I am, abruptly said "Hawaii!!" And I heard, the instant, "um... no". So I went back to my slouching shoulders in the chair. We were told to choose another base (stateside CONUS) which means "the lower 48" (what they say in Alaska, lol). 
The Air Force personnell office told my husband that the only place they could accomodate him, would be at Randolph AFB, San Antonio TX.  I was like, You're kidding, right?
You see, we have lived in San Antonio before. For 4 1/2 yrs, we were stationed at the other Air Force base there- at Lackland AFB (where they go for Basic Training).  Have you ever been to San Antonio? This place is HUGE! You can drive on the highway for over an hour, and STILL be IN San Antonio! That city is about the size of Half the state of Massachusetts! But man, is it warm there in the Summer. A little too warm, for this Bostonian. In fact, many of my coworkers (I worked part time at Wal-Mart and had a blast!) down there used to tease me and call me "Boston" all the time.. and I tried soooo hard to disguise my accent... and I refused to say things like "fixin" and "Ya'll" because, not that I hated it, but it is simply not what is said back at home. Nope- we say things like "Wicked" and "Packie" and things like that. For instance, "we used to have wicked fun on Sundays making our road trip to New Hampshire on Packie runs" (packie is a liquor store).   The "packies" back then (in the 80's) were not open on Sundays. They are now though.
So- getting back to San Antonio- I made wonderful friends down there, (Hi guys!!) and we found a great church (again, Hi Guys!! lol) and I miss all of that, plus my scrapbooking stores (Hi guys!). But, I basically melted from May to oh, about October... too hot for this Northern girl. I hated it. The winters? LOVED them! I never, ever wore a winter coat down there! But it wasn't the same at Christmas time, I had a hard time. I was brought up in New England, so it is right to freeze your butt off and have a cold, hopefully white Christmas. It's what I'm used to! And being in Texas, and having it be like- oh, 70-ish on Christmas day, felt strange, and out of place.
So here's the Air Force, telling us, that yes, we are going back to San Antonio.  We are now at the point where we thought we were done moving with the Air Force, Pat has been in for 24 yrs. So we thought we were done with all that. See what happens when you think??!!  However- since Pat has left for Korea, as I stated in my first blog, the Air Force changed the regulations on retirement from the military. So, we wait and wait, and then we wait, to see if Pat does pass that test (we find out next week) and if he does, how much longer in service will he have? Because, as it stands now- he will be forced to retire within 6 months of returning from Korea. And this Boston girl is NOT moving for 6 months, anywhere! Especially with 3 boys, 2 dogs, a cat and a fish. So we wait and wait. I will let you know! Meanwhile, life goes on... day by day.

I have brought you up to speed on our current situation, and I will blog about daily incidents (legal ones, hopefully, ha ha)and I am sure you will chuckle at my life. Most of my friends do it right to my face, so I am certain you will join the crowd!! That's ok, I like to make people smile even if it is at my expense...

No comments:

Post a Comment